What is a Portable Appliance?
A portable appliance is an item of electrical equipment, which is connected to the power supply with a flex and plug.
Why do I need Portable Appliance Testing?
There are a number of reasons why appliances should be PAT tested on a regular basis, but the most important ones are:
- To minimise the risk of fire and injury caused by electrical appliances.
- To assure the safety of all your portable appliances, e.g. kettles, microwaves, computers, fridges, telephones and extension leads, PAT testing satisfies these Health and Safety regulations
- Electric portable appliance testing is required by law in the UK. The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989; Section 4(2) requires all Portable Appliances to be accurately assessed by regular inspection and testing, so that the appliance in question can be confirmed as safe to use.
- To comply with the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999
- To comply with all Health & Safety at Work Act 1974; Section 2 of this requires the employer to ensure that all appliances comply with the regulations of the Act, and that the employer is responsible in so far as is reasonably practicable in making sure that all relevant equipment is safe to use and without risk to health.
- To satisfy your Insurance Company
- To supply Fire Officers and Health & Safety Inspectors with PAT testing certificates and records
What does PAT testing involve?
At Abre Electrical, we will come to your premises and we will inspect, test and certify all your portable appliances, as covered by the Institute of Electrical Engineers Code of Practice, and provide advice as to their condition and safety.
Abre Electrical will provide you with a written report, together with a test certificate as evidence that your portable appliances have had a combined inspection and electrical safety test.
We guarantee friendly, prompt service with all this included in the price:
- FREE replacement plugs if yours are damaged
- FREE replacement fuses at correct rating
- FREE rewiring of badly wired plugs
- FREE retests of the items above